Is this a Speakup problem?

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Fri Aug 10 18:34:21 EDT 2018

Actually, this is the same behavior as in Orca when in Laptop mode. In
this case the Orca Modifier is CapsLock and to lock or unlock CapsLock
you can type CapsLock twice (or press CapsLock+BackSpace then CapsLock).

For what it's worth, here is a complete list of Speakup key bindings:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/SpeakupAllDefaultKeyAssignments

Didier