[orca-list] [Testers wanted before the official release] Slint64-4.2.1 release candidate is accessible. (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Tue Oct 17 19:45:45 EDT 2017

--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:27:45
From: Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr>
To: orca-list <orca-list at gnome.org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] [Testers wanted before the official release]
     Slint64-4.2.1 release candidate is accessible.

Hello,

Le 17/10/2017 ? 21:04, Peter V?gner a ?crit :> The links to the readme and accessibility related hints should be
> http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/README
> http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/iso/ACCESSIBILITY
That's right, thanks for the heads up and sorry for the bad links.

> I am going to do more testing now however eventhough I have read the linked
> material and wiki pages at slint.fr I am still a bit confused on how to
> install this with speech with no braille display connected.
> Assuming I would like to install in english can I just boot off the iso
> image, press the enter key and wait for the speech to activate?
Yes: speech and braille are both activated by default in the installer.
The first thing you should hear is this message:
cut here
This installer has speech and Braille device support in order to be
accessible to visually impaired users. To have speech turned on during
installation type S, then press [Enter]. Else, just press Enter.
cut here

> In the readme we are advised not to start graphical interface on boot when
> targetting accessibility but stay in the terminal. Does this also apply for
> the first boot while about to install?The installer is text only.

> How do you handle accessibility when running lightweight environments such
> as fluxbox, blackbox Fvwm, WindowMaker?All graphical environments have a panel with an application menu
to which you can give the focus pressing  Alt+F1. This is lxpanel, but
in XFCE, and in MATE if you install it.

> Is PCManFM configured to provide the desktop?In LXDE only.

> When starting menu / pannel / run dialog with the provided keyboard
> shortcuts are there the same apps launched from within each desktop or how
> did you manage to provide good level of accessibility in all these cases?
Application menus are the same in all lightweight environments (the one
plugged in lxpanel, and is accessible, as well as the application menu
in the panels of XFCE, and MATE if yu sintall it, (see below).

The run dialog I use in lightweight environments is xfrun4, which is
accessible, as well as the run dialog of MATE.

I don't think that the icons in the panel, including the notification area
be accessible.

All logout dials used (mostly lxlogout and wm-logout) are accessible.

> When pressing alt+tab to switch windows does orca report the window
> switching to, i.e. do I know which window I am switching to before the
> actual switch is performed? So I can switch to my window of choice without
> cycling over all of currently opened windows until the one I wish to
> activate gains the focus.Alas, no.
This is possible in MATE though, that you can install with these
commands typed as root:
slapt-get -u
slapt-get --install-set mate

However as MATE comes from a Salix repo you will need to insert as root
the code snippet /usr/share/orca/orca.snip
just after this line:
# Start the window manager:in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.mate
I will automatize that before the official release.

> You have mentioned that the control center is not yet accessible because
> that's a QT4 app. To certain extend QT4 apps can be accessed with orca when
> qt-at-spi is installed alongside QT 4.8 or are there accessibility issues
> beyond the QT4 accessibility support as provided by the qt-at-spi?

I tried to install qt-at-spi alongside qt-4.8.7 that is shipped in
Slint, to no avail.

> I apologise for a lot of questions even before trying the distro however
> the fact main stream project aims such level of accessibility sounds very
> exciting to me. Given the fact the distro appears to be oriented on
> lightweight software it should run great with awesome performance too. And
> that is one more reason to make some good use of it.

You have no reason to apologize. On the contrary I am thankful for your
questions, that hopefully can lead to enhancements.

Greetings,

Didier