speakup-r functionality

Okash Khawaja okash.khawaja at gmail.com
Sun May 28 16:48:56 EDT 2017

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 02:39:17PM -0400, John Covici wrote:
> Well, find a document such as a text file -- I use emacs for this, but
> I suppose any editor will work -- of course it has to be in a text
> console.  Now, make sure the synthesizer supports indexing -- I think
> indexing support was not implemented for all drivers.  Now do
> speakup-r and the file should be spoken and when you hit the control
> key the cursor should be where the last word spoken.  Currently its a
> number of lines down.  Try this with the old speakup with the serial
> workaround patch to hear what it is supposed to b like.
>
> Hope this helps.
Thanks. I don't have a synth that supports indexing. But it looks like
this fix by Dan Carpenter likely addresses the issue:
http://linux-speakup.org/pipermail/speakup/2017-May/060802.html

handle_cursor_read_all() in main.c ultimately calls into
spk_ttyio_in_nowait. If value returned by spk_ttyio_in_nowait() is 0xff
when 0x00 is expectd then sentence count and index count will be
different (higher in this case) than expected.

I have update speakup.tgz to include this fix. If the above explanation
makes sense then please test it when possible.

Okash