Raspberry Pi

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Mar 16 18:10:32 EDT 2017

<http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions>

> I need a working speakup with software speech.
> On the x86 platform my distro of choice is Debian.
> Will debian run on ARM and does the image contain speakup with
> software speech as on x86?

Although the debian port for armhf will run on the latest and greatest
rpi, they don't have a kernel targeting the rpi3 specifically as far as I
know. So, if you want a debian-like distro, I suggest you start out
with raspbian. Speakup and espeakup aren't included by default. You'll
have to either ssh in, or use a serial to usb cable for the rpi, and
install them. One tip, if you're wanting software speech on the rpi,
get a usb sound card, since the on-board audio has issues as far as
software speech goes, and in general too.

> And I assume there is several versions of the raspberry pi hardware?
> I want the latest and greatest hardware.

You seem to have already answered this for yourself.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1