About speakup punctuation

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Tue Mar 14 20:19:40 EDT 2017

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Chris Brannon, on mar. 14 mars 2017 17:01:29 -0700, wrote:
>> This also eliminates the distinction between punc_level (punctuation in
>> spoken output) and reading_punc (punctuation in reviewed text).
>
> Don't users want to keep this distinction?  I can understand that you
> usually do not want the punctuation, to have a nice flow of text with
> prosody, and when reviewing, have the punctuation by default, since
> usually you review to get to the details.

As far as I have always known, reading_punc only affects review-by-line,
speak from top, maybe "read window", and maybe a few other things.
Review-by-word and review-by-character are unaffected by any of the
punctuation level settings, and they always read all of the
punctuation.  I tend to keep punc_level and reading_punc set to the
same value, and use review by word and review by character to review
with all punctuation when I need to.  Maybe I'm not the typical Speakup
user?

As an aside, the distinction between punc_level and reading_punc was
never even documented.  It's been around for a long time though.

-- Chris