silence during boot

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Jun 19 21:47:14 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:14:26AM -0500, Chris Zenchenko wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to keep Speakup from saying anything during the boot
> cycle.

You do this by passing quiet=1 to the speakup module. How you do that
depends on the distribution of gnu/linux you're using, and on if you
have speakup load in your initial ramdisk or not (assuming you have an
initrd). Typically, you want to create a file in /etc/modprobe.d. You
can call that file whatever you want, as long as it ends in .conf
(E.G. local.conf or speakup.conf). This file should contain the
following line:

options speakup quiet=1

> Speakup keeps speaking during boot and resetting the alsamixer settings and
> I need it to remain silent and to leave alsamixer settings alone.

Hmmm, first time I've heard of speakup resetting alsamixer settings.

> I'd also be fine if there was a way to force and keep Speakup on a different
> sound card.

That depends on what software synthesizer is being used, and on if you're using
espeakup, or speech-dispatcher, or something else. If you're using
espeakup, you need to export

ALSA_CARD=1

to use espeakup through the second sound card. On debian and
derivatives, you can set this up in /etc/default/espeakup.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1