supporting more than ttyS*

Okash Khawaja okash.khawaja at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 01:11:13 EDT 2017

> On 4 Jun 2017, at 23:47, Gregory Nowak <greg at gregn.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 10:37:17AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> Tom Fowle, on sam. 03 juin 2017 23:22:41 -0700, wrote:
>>> Since many parallel ports are not bidirectional, it might be hard or
>>> impossible to support indexing on a parallel port.
>>
>> Yes.
>
> That did occur to me as well. The blazer manual doesn't mention
> anywhere that a ieee1284 cable is required. I have in fact used it
> under a windows screen reader using a standard non-bidirectional cable
> without issues. If a synthesizer supports indexing, would speakup
> enable it when using a serial port, and disable it when using a
> parallel port,
Yes, that should be possible. Haven't looked at code but can't see why we can't disable it on parallel port.

On a general note, I don't know much about parallel port programming yet, so there still might be issues unaddressed in the first pass. Of course we can come back to them in subsequent patches.

Thanks,
Okash