speakup with usb keyboard and no monitor?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Jun 1 20:31:54 EDT 2017

I had a quick look at that site. You didn't say which model you got,
but the basic chip looks like it has a composite out. So, there's
somewhere that it would send video to. That must mean that it presents
a text console, or could maybe even work via framebuffer. With either
of those, it should be enough to attach a usb keyboard, modprobe
speakup_soft, start espeakup or speechdup, and you should be set to
go. I didn't see anything about the sound on this device. If it
doesn't have built-in audio, or the built-in audio is junk, you'll
want to get a usb sound card.

Greg

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 08:54:24PM +0000, craig at unreasonablefarm.org wrote:
> Sorry if this is a bit off topic. Essentially this is a linux configuration question.
>
> I have built and installed and can insmod speakup.ko and speakup_soft.ko on my $9 getchip.com computer.
>
> The board has no video connection but I can plug in and have a USB keyboard detected.
>
> I'm wondering how to configure things so that a console is present which speakup will speak but that I can type in with the USB keyboard.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1