Speakup in Debian

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Jun 1 18:52:31 EDT 2017

Do you also have a GUI desktop with orca installed? If yes, you may be
running into the problem where speech-dispatcher grabs the sound card
through pulseaudio, and doesn't give espeakup access to it through
alsa. I haven't used pulse in a long time, so don't recall exactly how
to check this.
If this is the case, you can edit speech-dispatcher's config file, and tell it
not to use pulse. I believe there's also a way to get espeakup and
speech-dispatcher to play nicely with pulse, but someone else will
have to cover that, assuming my recall of this being possible is
correct.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net