Speech overlapping with espeak-ng

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Jan 15 09:57:48 EST 2017

Hello,

Kirk Reiser, on Fri 13 Jan 2017 09:50:24 -0500, wrote:
> If you have speakup running with espeakup just review up or down the
> screen with the 7 and 9 keys. You can feel the speech doesn't cut off
> immediately and in fact it sounds like you are mixing the speech from
> the previous line in the current line. It gives a sound like a shoosh
> at the start of each keystroke.

Ok, I think I see what you mean.

I believe it's actually an effect of our ears :)

I have noticed that espeak-ng is way more "reactive" than espeak, in
that when espeakup uses espeak-ng, key press echo happens way more
immediately than with espeak.  This is so that when ongoing speech is
interrupted by newer speech, there is no delay between the interrupted
speech and the new speech, and our ears mix the two. To get something
intelligible we need some delay, which happened to be introduced by
espeak only by luck, because it was taking time to start the speech.  I
have uploaded to

http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/tmp/

a version of espeakup which introduces a 150ms delay after the cancel.
This should be small enough to keep reactivity, but long enough to
clearly separate speech. You can tune this value with the additional -c
parameter.

I'll try to introduce that in brltty too.

Samuel