[VBox-users] Accessibility in VirtualBox

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Aug 30 16:11:38 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 02:47:16PM +0200, Michael Thayer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are currently re-doing accessibility in VirtualBox (specifically in
> the user interface, since Qt5 provides more accessibility support).  We
> were wondering if anyone reading this list would be able and willing to
> give us some feedback and advice.  Please get in touch if so (and please
> keep Sergey on CC, as he is not on the list).

I can tell you that the menu that can be brought up while the guest is
running with I believe vbox+home hasn't been accessible for a long
time. While I myself am still running an older version of virtualbox,
I have heard from someone on the speakup list recently that this is
still the case in the latest vbox version.

Also, when in the virtualbox GUI up/down arrow events change focus,
but the nvda screen reader under windows doesn't speak this
automatically. This is true when for example selecting among available
guests, selecting guest OS version, or selecting ram or virtual disk size.

If there are versions with improved accessibility that I can provide
feedback on, I'm willing to test those. I'm also sending a cc to the
speakup list, since I know there are a few users of virtualbox there.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1