Using Speakup with VI/VIM: Keybinding query

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Thu Aug 3 08:58:45 EDT 2017

Hi James et al: You don't realize how right you are James. Speakup has
no real notion of what to do with a changed cursor position.

I didn't know a nice clean way of handling on screen activities so I
just made speakup call say_character() when the cursor position changed
by an increment or decrement. I made it call say_current_line() when
the cursor moved virtically up or down. That's it. That is the
complete amount of cursor handling it does in cursor tracking mode. We
tried to make it recognize the most likely highlight to follow in
highlight tracking mode but none of it's handling is very
suffisticated.

For most situations it handles remarkably well but in truth the whole
method could be revisited and redesigned to handle more involved
realities.