DecTalk External (decext) testers wanted!

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Apr 17 15:45:03 EDT 2017

Hi all,
I tried to build a kernel with Okash's speakup patches following the
instructions at:
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bytefire/speakup-decext/master/decext-instructions.txt>

I got the kernel source from the URL given in the instructions. I
extracted it, got rid of drivers/staging/speakup, and extracted
speakup.tgz in place of that, which gave me back
drivers/staging/speakup. I applied tty-export.patch with no errors,
getting exactly the output Okash gave in the instructions. I put a
.config into place in the linux source tree, and ran make oldconfig
accepting defaults for all new options.

I then ran make, which seemed to make it almost until the end, before
it came to a halt with this:

"
drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_soft.c:25:87: fatal error: linux/sched/signal.h: No such file or directory
 #include <linux/sched/signal.h> /* schedule(), signal_pending(), TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE */
                                                                                       ^
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.build:300: recipe for target 'drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_soft.o' failed
make[3]: *** [drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_soft.o] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.build:553: recipe for target 'drivers/staging/speakup' failed
make[2]: *** [drivers/staging/speakup] Error 2
scripts/Makefile.build:553: recipe for target 'drivers/staging' failed
make[1]: *** [drivers/staging] Error 2
Makefile:988: recipe for target 'drivers' failed
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
"

I did some web searching, but couldn't find anything definite about
that particular header file, other than that it seems to be new in the
latest kernel, seemingly a replacement for sched.h. So, what is
supposed to generate that header file, or where am I supposed to get
it from please? This is on a devuan jessie 32-bit x86 system. Thanks.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1