DecTalk External (decext) testers wanted!

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 05:39:03 EDT 2017

I am going to do a fresh install of debian on a spare drive to test the
patches.

Are your instructions the same for am64 and i386 kernels?

Also, the default speech rate is too slow for me so can I set a higher
default rate during the process?  If so, how do I do this?

Thanks.

On 12/04/17 09:07, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> Also, these steps can be used to test all the synths and not just decext. The speakup.tgz archive contains all the patches I last submitted.
>
> So please use these steps to test other synths too!
>
> Thanks,
> Okash
>
>> On 11 Apr 2017, at 19:49, Okash Khawaja <okash.khawaja at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please be careful at step 4 as it may break your system. Even on
>> Debian based system, the steps I have mentioned are no guarantee that
>> they will not break your system.
>>
>> Also, you can also access the instructions from here:
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bytefire/speakup-decext/master/decext-instructions.txt
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Okash
>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Okash Khawaja <okash.khawaja at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here are the steps in detail. Before starting this, please download
>>> following two files that I have shared:
>>> - speakup.tgz:
>>> https://github.com/bytefire/speakup-decext/raw/master/speakup.tgz
>>> - tty-export.patch:
>>> https://github.com/bytefire/speakup-decext/raw/master/tty-export.patch
>>>
>>> 1. Download Linux kernel code:
>>> a. download stable kernel source from
>>> https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.10.9.tar.xz
>>> b. extract the archive by running: tar xvfJ linux-4.10.9.tar.xz
>>>
>>> 2. Apply patches:
>>> a. cd into the extracted linux source code: cd linux-4.10.9
>>> b. remove speakup directory: rm -r drivers/staging/speakup
>>> c. copy the speakup.tgz file into drivers/staging: cp
>>> path/to/speakup.tgz drivers/staging/
>>> d. cd into staging directory: cd drivers/staging
>>> e. extractspeakup.tgz: tar xvfz speakup.tgz
>>> (now there should be a speakup directory inside drivers/staging)
>>> f. cd back to the root of kernel source (i.e. linux-4.10.9) : cd ../..
>>> g. apply the tty patch: patch -p1 < path/to/tty-export.patch
>>> (output of above should be following three lines:
>>> patching file drivers/tty/tty_io.c
>>> patching file drivers/tty/tty_port.c
>>> patching file include/linux/tty.h)
>>> (if you don't already have 'patch' program then you can download it
>>> from http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/patch/)
>>> h. now we have the code ready for configuring and compiling!
>>>
>>> 3. Configure:
>>> a. make sure you are inside kernel source root directory, i.e. linux-4.10.9
>>> b. make sure that existing kernel config exists: ls /boot/config-$(uname -r)
>>> (this should return just one file named config-<your-kernel-version>)
>>> c. copy that file into your kernel source root directory: cp
>>> /boot/config-$(uname -r) ./.config
>>> d. update the config: make oldconfig
>>> (this will ask you many questions. just select the default option for
>>> each by pressing enter)
>>> e. check to make sure that speakup is configured the way you wanted
>>> it: cat .config | grep SPEAKUP
>>> e. that's it, kernel configured!
>>>
>>> 4. Compile and install:
>>> (IMPORTANT: for this please check an online guide specific for your distro.
>>> following instructions that i think should work on Debian based
>>> system. but it may
>>> a. still stayin inside linux-4.10.9, compile by simply running: make
>>> (this will take a while. depending on the hardware specs, it may take
>>> an hour or may be more)
>>> b. after make completes, check it succeeded: echo $?
>>> (this should return zero)
>>> c. now run: sudo make modules_install
>>> (again this may take a little while)
>>> d. now install kernel which should be quick: sudo make install
>>> (NOTE: this means that on next reboot your newly compiled kernel will load)
>>> (Depending on your distro, it should back up previous kernel)
>>>
>>> 5. Reboot and test decext:
>>> a. now running reboot should boot the compiled kernel