One grub, two operating systems, problem solved.

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 26 09:37:12 EDT 2016

It probably wasn't a grub problem though, right? It's possible to fix a
problem with a machine speaking boot messages via changing the grub
configuration but you'd probably have had to set that up yourself in the
first place. I'm guessing that what you had to do was either keep the
speakup_soft kernel module from loading or stop espeakup from being
started during the boot. But those things don't directly apply to grub.

PS: One trick I have for dealing with grub is to make it play a tune at
boot time. In a way, it's just for fun. But it helps in that you get the
3 or 4 seconds while the tune is playing to interrupt the boot. Another
reason I like the tune is that it is a lot more definite than a beep.
Some computers beep during powerup and the tune makes it clear when it's
at the grup screen. I wrote a bash script to make it easier for me to
add a grub init tune. The script is available here:

http://www.iavit.org/~john/Debian/grub-init-tune

There are instructions in the file itself for how to use it. There are
also a couple of example tunes you can cut/paste into your
/etc/default/grub file.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org