One installer, two operating systems.

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckhallenbeck at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 07:07:51 EDT 2016

Good morning people,

I've divided my HD into separate areas for two operating systems and
am setting up a dual-boot environment.  My primary O.S. is ArchLinux,
fully configured and  individualized, though with a plain vanilla grub
configuration.  I installed ArchLinux as my secondary O.S., omitting
grub completely, rebooted into my primary O.S. and updated the grub
configuration.  It worked. My grub menu, while it doesn't talk, is easy
to navigate, and I can select which O.S. I want to boot into.

However, while my primary O.S. boots up silently until it presents me with
a login screen, my secondary  O.S. begins speaking some bootup messages
before the login screen is spoken.  Those messages do not remain on the
screen, but they  seem to be issued by systemctl as it starts my dhcpcd
server and again when it starts cronie, perhaps others. Those seem to
be "last minute messages" but since theyh only occur when my secondary
O.S. is booting, I am wondering what I can do to suppress them.

I am a bit intimidated by grub. I was once almost comfortable with grub1,
but then it became grub legacy and grub2  left me behind.  The only change
I have made in the grub config  file under defaults is to lengthen the
time grub waits for a response, and to enable the grub startup beep.

Any suggestions  are much appreciated.

Chuck
--
Willoughby Ohio