WARNING: Latest Linphone on Arch breaks device access

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Wed Sep 7 14:39:02 EDT 2016

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> writes:

> It was a great suggestion, Chris. Unfortunately, it seems there's yet
> another bug in how alsa handles usb devices.
>
> I have 2 usb devices. No matter how I specify things, the card that gets
> invoked is the first of those two.

Oh interesting.  So it looks like there's a name clash.
Last time I dealt with multiple USB audio devices, they had unique
human-friendly IDs by default.  My Logitech USB headset was called
Headset, and my FM transmitter was called RocketFM.
Apparently I was just lucky.

Not sure how much you know about alsa, so I'll also mention that
you can see the human friendly IDs by looking for the symlinks in
/proc/asound.  They're also listed in the output of aplay -l, but it's
sort of non-intuitive what they are.

> Now, if I were really clever, I suppose I'd know how to write udev rules
> to insure that the Sennheiser gets a lower card ID than the C-Media
> device.

Well if you send me the output of lsusb, I can probably write some udev rules
for you.  Or alternatively have a look at http://alsa.opensrc.org/Udev for a
starting point.

-- Chris