WARNING: Latest Linphone on Arch breaks device access

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Sep 7 09:50:53 EDT 2016

Hi, All:

If you use Linphone on Arch, beware. The latest release built 31 August
introduced what for me is a showstopper bug. I'm referring to
Linphone-3.10.2-1.

It is no longer possible to specify which audio device Linphone should
use.  Here's the relevant bit of configuration from my older
.linphonerc:

[sound]
ringer_dev_id=ALSA: Sennheiser USB Headset
playback_dev_id=ALSA: Sennheiser USB Headset
capture_dev_id=ALSA: Sennheiser USB Headset

This device is still present and working on the system:
aplay -l |grep card
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: Device [C-Media USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
card 2: Headset [Sennheiser USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724 IEC958]
card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 2: ICE1724 Surrounds [ICE1724 Surround PCM]
card 4: DSP [Hammerfall DSP], device 0: RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface [RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface]

However, linphone no longer sees it:
soundcard list
0: PulseAudio: Built-in Audio
1: ALSA: default device
linphonec>

So, I'm investigating workarounds because I depend on linphone for my
standards work--lots of teleconferences. Meanwhile, I do believe it's my
duty to report this development as I've now seen exactly this same
problem on two separate Arch machines.

Caveat emptor.

Janina

--