status of the portaudio bug causing lockups in espeakup

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Oct 2 19:25:55 EDT 2016

Rob <captinlogic at gmail.com> wrote:

> From research I've done, the only reason to install pulse is for things like
> automatic device handling when new ones are added, like USB headsets.

Another reason to run Pulse is for per-application volume control. You can
also move audio between devices whenever you wish. On the few occasions on
which I've used the command line interface, I've found it awkward.

More generally, I made peace with Pulse a while ago and it hasn't given me
serious problems.