Contributing to speakup

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Nov 16 13:28:22 EST 2016

Okash Khawaja, on Wed 16 Nov 2016 10:03:32 +0000, wrote:
> However, I am not sure about what the new
> implmentation of serial_out() et el will look like.

It will call tty->ops->write(), typically.

> Also, I understand speakup being a line discipline and the challenges involved
> in creating device file and assigning speakup ldisc to it. But don't know how
> it ties with it this work.

That's what will produce the 'tty' pointer.

> And how it facilitates comms with USB, PCI etc.

It will bring them for free: opening ttyS0 will open whatever serial
port appears as ttyS0 in Linux, be it ISA or PCI. Opening ttyUSB0 will
open whatever USB serial port which appears as ttyUSB0.

> Perhaps we can come back to that later and start with the refactor first.

Yes, the refactor can be done first. The tty initialization will however
come immediately after, to replace the outb() of serial_out() with
tty->ops->write().

Samuel