Status of kernel

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Nov 10 11:10:32 EST 2016

Okash Khawaja, on Thu 10 Nov 2016 15:02:21 +0000, wrote:
> I am currently studying speakup's kernel code. Can someone guide me what is
> it's current status?

It's currently in the staging part of the kernel, which is already a
good thing since it gets updated as the kernel API changes.

> - What needs to be done in order to mainline it? I have read the TODO file but
> not sure how up-to-date it is.

Its first item might be set to "update TODO" :)

About the "how to communicate with the serial ports" item, I do have
hints how it could be done, I just never got around finding the time to
hack it down.

> - Are there existing plans to do work on the driver?

Not that I know of.

> - Although the code is fairly readable, is there any documentation for the
> driver?

Not that I know of.

> Please add anything else you think is relevant.

Make sure to synchronize with the speakup list. Perhaps better
explicitly Cc us like you just did, to catch our eyes, I for instance
don't necessarily follow the speakup list that closely unfortunately.

Samuel