Starting Speakup on a Debian Virtual Machine

jeremy icu8it2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:15:38 EST 2016

Kind of a strange question, but I'd make sure that you are actually able
to boot into the new system, once you've finished up with the install. I
have absolutely no clue why, but the last time I tried a Debian 8
install inside vmware, using the normal text installer from the net
install cd, I never could get it to boot. I don't have enough site to be
able to see what's actually on the screen, but it certainly wasn't
getting beyond just a second or two after powering on the vm.

With any other distribution I've tried there, it worked great, so I
never could quite understand why the latest debian was giving me issues
with VMWare. That would certainly explain why you had no speech on
starting it up and why none of your commands seem to work. haha
Don't know if it matters or even if it's what's behind your issue, but I
was trying it on the latest VMWare player with windows7 as the host.