Linux on access technology

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu May 26 20:32:58 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 03:36:41AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> This is a pretty sound idea, imo. If we had a box with speakers, braille
> keyboard, basic other IO like RJ45, audio, etc., but could simply swap
> in mb from time to time to pick up on enhanced cpu, ram, etc., wouldn't
> that be pretty future proof?

Yup, but I can only see a nonprofit or an individual creating such an
option. No for profit company would go for it. Can you imagine the
loss in revenue if in order to upgrade all a user had to do is to
replace the mobo on their own? Let's take it further. What if the
entire thing including case and hardware could be printed on a 3d
printer, and the stl files were freely available? Keep the cost of the
entire thing down to $200 maybe $300 per unit. Allow a bit more if the
user wanted a braille display, maybe those could be 3d printed some
day too. I wonder if someone started something like that on
kickstarter, if it would take off?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net