Linux on access technology

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed May 25 11:17:52 EDT 2016

I actually went as far as to contact a plastics molding firm about the
possibility of making a case for a Soekris motherboard. The Raspberry Pi
isn't the first tiny, low power motherboard. I happened to have
inherited one at my job from a company called Soekris. I was going to
have the plastics company make a case so that I could put in a Soekris
mobo and a standard notebook keyboard.   I thought I could either use a
blutooth braille display or have the case molded such that you could
snap in some low-cost braille display. I figured the parts other than
the braille display would be about $300 per unit. But the minimum order
from the plastics company was in the thousands. I didn't really want to
start a company to compete with Freedom Scientific and Access
Technology. I'm not sure it would have been a valid business model
anyway considering the advent of smart phones.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org