Teaching Speakup how to pronounce characters

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Mon Mar 28 20:30:33 EDT 2016

Hi All,

I’m wondering how I can teach Speakup to pronounce certain characters a specific way? Some Linux games I would like to play use characters from IBM CodePage 437, which do not seem to be pronounced properly. These all seem to be read as “null,” when they should be smiley faces, card suits, and so forth.
It seems that speak of does not have proper Unicode support yet, or at least that it is still defaulting to reading things in seven or eight bit ASCII.

One aspect which makes this difficult is that the command to read the hex value of a character under the cursor fails to produce meaningful output, saying that all these characters have a hex value of 0x00, which they certainly should not.
Thanks much,
Zack.