USB synths (was: serial synths in 4.X kernels)

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 11 13:59:40 EST 2016

 >> Maybe my time would be better spent learning how to write
 >> a linux device driver for USB.
> >
> > Well, the drivers do exist already. What lacks so far is the connection
 > between them and the speakup.

Does speakup really have to do anything to talk to a USB synth? I've
written udev rules to create device files for USB devices. When you plug
in a USB device, the kernel sees it and creates a device file. You can
watch the messages scroll by if you tail the syslog while plugging in
the USB device. Then you can take the identification strings and write a
udev rule to create another device file for that device. People do this
all the time so that every time they plug their thumb drive in, it gets
a name like /dev/thumb. What if I wrote a udev rule to create a
/dev/speakup_ltlk and fooled speakup into thinking it had successfully
loaded the speakup_ltlk module?