espeakup alsa errors

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jun 29 13:16:06 EDT 2016

Could someone repost the link? I want to bookmark it and have
inadvertently killed the email that included it.

Also, it's very unfortunate that we need to rely on udev to definitively
assign sound devices as default, or a particular hw: value. That makes
lots of things hard, including scripts and including assigning certain
devices to certain kinds of work, like hw:0 for speakup, and hw:8 for
high end audio editing, as an example.

The only reason udev is a probably for this is that how to do this isn't
well documented, and there's no tool I know of that front ends the task
properly.

PS: We should also be able to clearly define which HW: devices are for
pulse, and which for jack, and which for alsa only. Is that too much to
ask?

Janina