Hello

KatolaZ katolaz at freaknet.org
Wed Jun 8 10:11:58 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 08:45:59AM -0500, John G Heim wrote:

[cut]

> In fact, this is an important consideration for the developers of devuan. We
> aren't talking about some bug in a Windows screen reader that makes it hard
> for someone to play sudoku on-line.  Admittedly there are other rescue
> systems around. But if devuan is to become a player, a distro that everybody
> is familiar with,  it's extremely important that it be accessible. This is
> not an exaggeration -- the ability of someone to feed their family might
> depend on it.

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind email and sorry for the aggressive quoting on
my side. I appreciate your take on Orca vs speakup, but we should
probably recall that what I am developing is a console-only minimal
live Devuan system, not a full-featured desktop system. That's why
speakup looked like the most reasonable solution.

As I said, I don't have that much experience with accessibility. I am
not visually impaired (sorry for that!), I have never used a hw speech
synthetizer, and I have barely seen a braille terminal a couple of
times in my entire life, so I genuinely don't know what are the issues
there. I am here because I think that people on this list can help, as
have already done so far, to put in place some good support for
accessibility.

My intention was not to cause flames or religious wars here, but
rather to get feedback on this little project, in the hope that it can
be also useful to visually impaired users. I am sorry if something
does not work out-of-the-box, and I am ready to work to fix it, but I
do need your feedback to be able to do that. A honest feedback, and
maybe pointers to resources I can use to fill the gaps. That's all I
am talking about.

> I don't know how a developer weighs those considerations. What's more
> important, a bug that keeps a thousand people from playing sudoku or one
> that keeps ten people from rescuing a web server that is down? I know where
> I'd come down though.

I perfectly understand your point, and this is exactly why I thought
that adding support for visually impaired users in a minimal devuan
live was a good idea. Not just to play sudoku, but to perform standard
admin tasks as well.

For I don't know exactly which reason, I am trying to help, but
without your comments and suggestions I can't get that far on this
path.

HND

KatolaZ