mail server setup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Jan 7 05:21:31 EST 2016

On 1/6/2016 11:49 AM, Juan Hernandez wrote:
> I wanted to know what you guys recommended for setups?
>
> I need webmail, imap, virtual domains, spam/antivirus protection, etc.

If you're running Debian or Ubuntu, I recommend I-MSCP.  It's a web-based
control panel which lets you add mail users, manage domains, etc similar to
a web hosting company.  We're hosting several domains with lots of email
addresses and never had a problem.  The installer is very accessible.  The
web interface leaves a little to be desired, but works fine in Firefox and
Lynx.  It uses Postfix and automatically downloads and installs packages, so
it's best ran on a minimal system.  The control panel is isolated from
Apache, so if your web server goes down, your control panel should stay up.
  You can customize some aspects of what it installs.  http://i-mscp.net/
There is also Virtualmin which is part of Webmin, but I don't recommend it.
  Webmin lets you customize most major mail servers with a web-based
configuration, but I think it has too much bloat and isn't as accessible.
Virtualmin is similar to a control panel, but again, much harder to use and
less accessible.  http://www.webmin.com/  Having used Postfix, Exim and
Qmail, I like Postfix and Qmail best.  I found Exim harder to configure, but
the Debian packages automate much of it for you.

> I was reading a site, and I came across citadel groupware and liked its features.  Have any of you ever set it up?

Yes and I don't recommend it.  It's not at all accessible with Lynx.  I
don't remember if I tried it in Firefox, but I remember it was too
complicated and I didn't like it.  If you want a similar feature set which
is very accessible, try Synchronet.  It was a dial-up BBS package as was
Citadel, but is now telnet and web-based.  It's natively built for Windows
but runs on Linux and FreeBSD.  http://synchro.net/