Help with serial synths in 4.X kernels

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 24 10:44:51 EST 2016

Well, first of all, I didn't mean to say you shouldn't use a serial
hardware synth. However,IMO, you would be wise to consider contingency
plans. If your livelihood depends on that serial synth, you'd be wise to
begin examining your alternatives.

Also, I can't promise to debug the kernel code. When I said check the
syslog, I meant for you to check the syslog. If I can find the time to
take a look at it, I certainly will but I can't promise that. I suspect
that what's happening is that when speakup tries to "steal" the serial
port, the return value is no longer just null. When I last traced back
the functions that speakup was calling to steal the serial port, it was
bullstuff. Speakup called a function that did nothing -- which isn't the
fault of the speakup developers. I suspect that those functions now do
something -- probably not what we want but something.

It has probably been a year since I last posted a rant on this list
about the linux kernel developers. As I write this, I find myself
getting all worked up about it again. The one good thing about Trump
running for President is that now I have someone I find more arrogant
and irritating than the linux kernel development team.