Help with serial synths in 4.X kernels

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 23 09:31:47 EST 2016

You should check the syslog. There are almost certainly messages in
there reporting what is happening. I'll try to compile 4.3 kernels for
ubuntu and debian over the next few days. I had planned to automate the
process. Every time my ubuntu machines download a new kernel, generate a
new patched kernel package. I never got around to it though. I was using
a sed command to comment out the line that caused serial synths to not
work so that automation was possible. Part of the problem here is that I
have kind of given up on serial synths myself. I have been depending
more and more on the combination of a braille display and software
speech.  It seems to me that using a hardware speech synth is going
against the grain these days.