Speakup on the newest Gentoo minimal cd doesn't works with any boot parameters

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Sun Dec 18 10:04:41 EST 2016

You probably picked one of the most complex distributions to install for
accessibility.  External DVD drives are not that expensive any longer.
Aside from that, you need to find out all of the addresses for all of
your sound cards on that mac.  There's a /proc subdirectory in Linux for
this and maybe on the mac too.  The Linux kernel has provisions by means
of boot parameters for selecting your sound card but you'll need its
address.  Wait, have you tried lsusb -v|less yet?  If you have usb
speakers plugged in on talkingarch instance you can get useful
information from that command I think.
The problem you're going to have with gentoo will be in kernel building
since speakup isn't installed in the kernel.  I got that far on
installation a couple times but got no further.  You may have additional
problems after kernel building I know nothing about since I never got
past that step.  The other problem with gentoo is handbook on internet
documentation is several years out of date so if there are easier ways
to get an accessible install of gentoo install they don't appear in that
handbook.  Good luck, you're going to need it.