LIBASOUND_THREAD_SAFE workaround and ArchLinux

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sat Aug 13 17:31:19 EDT 2016

Zachary Kline <zkline at speedpost.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody have a way of implementing the LIBASOUND_THREAD_SAFE=0
> workaround in Arch, with its espeakup.service systemd unit?

Hi Zack and all,
You've got a couple of options now.

Samuel Thibault sent a patch to the Debian Accessibility list to fix the
issue in libasound.  I've been running with that patch over here, and
espeakup seems to be working fine.
I put that patch up on my server so everyone can get it easily:
http://the-brannons.com/asound.patch
On Arch, you can add that patch to your ABS tree, adjust the PKGBUILD,
and rebuild alsa-lib from source.

If you'd rather use the environment variable workaround discussed
earlier, I think the following steps should work for you under systemd.
Copy /usr/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service to /etc/systemd/system.
Edit /etc/systemd/system/espeakup.service.
Find the line that says [Service].
After that line, insert
Environment=LIBASOUND_THREAD_SAFE=0

-- Chris