Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Sep 27 05:44:40 EDT 2015

No, you're wrong.  Debian, Ubuntu, etc don't have this problem.  The problem
seems to be entirely in the brltty package as shipped with Talking Arch.
I'm guessing, but based on the brltty.conf shipped with Debian, the default
is to probe the serial port for a Braille display.  Whatever it sends to the
serial port causes the DECtalk Express to emit random characters and
completely stop speaking until it is turned off and on.  The sound card
problem is an unrelated issue, also related to Arch, but probably upstream,
not Talking Arch specifically.