latest version of TalkingArch

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Sep 23 12:01:56 EDT 2015

Hi Kyle,

We're golden finally!  I ended up learning how to get wifi up on
archlinux properly and learned how to handle these fast sata drives if
things were on them and archlinux is to go onto them.
This second bit isn't difficult either but has a few steps and is for
those that can swap out hard drives.  The ones that can't swap out hard
drives will do well to learn to erase boot sectors and put a new disk
label on disks with parted or something similar.  I'd recommend dban if
it would talk.
For those that can swap out hard drives since they use drive caddies:
1) insert talkingarch in dvd drive,
2) unlock hard drive and move it so it's out of contact with connectors,
3) boot system up and get to root# prompt,
4) put hard disk in caddy and lock it in and wait a few seconds,
5) unlock caddy and move hard drive just out of contact with connectors
again; that should produce error messages,
6) push disk back into caddy and lock caddy,
7) type udevadm settle then wait a few seconds,
8) type lsblk and see if the hard drive shows up (that should show up as
an entry),
9) proceed with owtherwise normal TalkingArch installation.

Wifi has a few steps too:
1) run wifi-menu -o hit enter to use active network if you know its
password,
2) pick a network name and enter that,
3) key in wifi router password,
4) type netctl list
5) find the network name to right of asterisk and copy all of it to
speakup clipboard,
6) type netctl store and hit enter,
7) type netctl enable followed by space then hit the speakup paste
command then hit enter; you should hear a successful link operation
happen if you did it right.
Once that's done, and the system boots it automatically tries to connect
to wifi and in my case does so successfully.