Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 23 10:41:37 EDT 2015

But, Karen, you've changed your point.  Nobody in this thread said that
there is anything wrong with end users making feature requests. In fact,
I quite clearly said the opposite. A good developer welcomes
constructive criticism.

End users don't have a right to demand features. They should make sure
their criticism is constructive in nature. And end users should
understand that an open source developer can't be all things to all people.

Developers have ethical obligations too, IMO. Being a volunteer doesn't
absolve them from accessibility obligations, for example. But again,
that would be "best effort". If you're putting out a live distro, the
ethical thing to do is to  try really, really hard to support braille.
But if you can't, you can't.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim