Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 23 09:10:48 EDT 2015

I used to maintain a blind-friendly version of grml. It included a
kernel with the kernel patched to work with hardware speech synths, some
udev rules to recognize the synths and start speakup automatically, and
stuff like that. At one point, the grml developers switched the type of
compression they used on their ISO and I literally couldn't remaster
their ISO. Grml is based on debian but the compression algorythm (lzh?)
wasn't supported in the debian kernel.  It wasn't just a flag in the
kernel, you had to patch some code, etc. Anyway, it would have been a
huge amount of work and I just didn't have the time. Boy, you should
have seen the angry email I got when I said I would get to upgrading my
fork when I had the time. Of course, the thing is, the angry emails only
made me less inclined to burn my own time helping the blind community.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim