Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 22 04:06:16 EDT 2015

OK, fine, but here's the thing.  As long as most people (yes, there are
exceptions) want a live desktop, I can't recommend Arch.  I've had a few
people tell me privately that they won't even consider Arch for exactly this
reason.  If it's a choice by the Arch developers, that's too bad as most
people are turned off by this.

I haven't seriously looked at Gentoo in about 10 years, so if they do have a
live desktop image, I don't know about it.  I haven't seen it on the various
mirrors.  If there is such an image, please send me a link and I'll evaluate
it.  Similarly, if there is a simple installer which actually guides you
through the process like Debian or FreeBSD, I'll take a look.  I like Gentoo
in concept, but I can't recommend it for the masses due to the above issues.
  There was going to be a fork which was going to address some of these
issues, but I don't know whatever became of it.