Talking Linux for Raspberry Pi

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Sat Sep 12 04:52:47 EDT 2015

I solved the spluttering tts with espeak and speakup on the Pi by
writing an OpenMAX IL library that bypasses the broken ALSA driver:

git clone https://github.com/cromarty/ttsprojects.git

See the raspberry-pi directory.

It uses the OpenMAX IL client libraries found in /opt/vc to render audio
on the GPU, thus bypassing ALSA totally.

Mike