Debian upgrade to Jessie

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed May 20 00:45:07 EDT 2015

You need to load the soft_synth module as root, like this:

modprobe soft_synth

BTW, I, like you, have a system with a doubletalk pc. My box is a 1.1GHz
pentium III with 768 megs of ram. I am still running wheezy on my
boxes, but see no reason why jessie shouldn't work for you. If I
upgrade to jessie before you report on your experience, I'll post here
on how that went for this particular box. I probably won't get around
to upgrading my machines until a few months from now though.

You should have no problem using speakup with espeak/espeakup on your
machine. Your orca experience doesn't surprise me though. Good luck.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1