mounting iphone/ipod/ipad from command line in linux

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue May 12 12:22:49 EDT 2015

I think what you mean when you say that IOS devices have never appeared
as  USB devices is that they don't appear as USB storage devices and are
not automatically mounted.  What happens when you plug any device into a
USB port is that it's identification information is queried by the
kernel and it then checks if there are any udev rules as to how to deal
with it. If there is nothing in the udev rules, a device file won't be
created for it and certainly, it won't be mounted as a storage device.

I don't know about other versions of linux but when I  plug my ipod into
my ubuntu 14.04  system, it runs rythmbox.   You can find the rules for
that in the udev rules directory. It's like /usr/lib/udev or something
like that. I was looking at them last week while trying to write some
udev rules that would load speakup kernel modules when you plug in a
hardware speech synth.

PS: I've been working on building a version of grml that has a patched
kernel and these udev rules. What would happen is that when you boot
from this version of grml, if you have your hardware synth plugged in to
both the serial and USB ports, it would come up talking. I'm pretty
close. I just need to figure out how to install a custom kernel into grml.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim