command line file managers (simple)

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Jun 28 04:46:17 EDT 2015

I can send you my Ranger preferences if that helps.  It's definitely
packaged in Debian and Ubuntu.  Once it's set to single column, it works
great.  You can use the keypad 8 to read the file currently highlighted.
Singole column mode was specifically designed for the blind if I read the
docs correctly.  I would be very interested in knowing what problems you're
having and why you don't like it.  I don't like using Lynx the cat because
it's really not designed for that purpose.  A web browser should be for
browsing the web, not managing files.  The more serious issue is it tries to
download files which should not be downloaded.  Specifically, if I have a
file called batsupport.com, it assumes it's a binary file even though it's
actually plain text, but I have no way to view it or pipe it to less.
Trying to open it prompts me to download it.  Since it's already on the
local system, I don't want to download it, I want to open it.  That's just
my opinion and if Lynx the cat works for you, that's great too.  The nice
thing about Linux is there are lots of choices.