Getting speakup to run on debian

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 24 10:37:27 EDT 2015

It is probably a conflict with pulseaudio and alsa. Right now I am a
little fuzzy on the details but I believe that orca and gnome load pulse
drivers and espeak needs alsa. You can test whether this is the problem
by not logging into the GUI before running espeak. So at the gnome login
screen, press control+alt+f1 to get to the console, log in and start
espeakup. Then go back to the login screen by pressing control+alt+f7
and log into the gui. Make sure orca is running. Then go back once again
to the console by pressing control+alt+f1. At this point, I will bet
that software speech is not working for you.

I think you can fix this by recompiling espeakup to default to using
pulseaudio. Instructions for that are somewhere on google. If you can't
find them, I can probably dig them out again.

--
John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim