Running speakup on Ubuntu?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 31 07:23:11 EDT 2015

I would need a lot more information before I can help you:

1. Are you running this in a VM?  I just read about someone else running the
daily build of the Debian Installer under VMWare who had the same issue.
The system installed fine but no speech came up when booting.  It could very
likely have to do with the audio emulation.  If possible, try with KVM or
VirtualBox.  Even better, try on real hardware.

2. Are you saying that Speakup doesn't work in the live CD or after the
installation?  I wouldn't be surprised if the live CD doesn't support it,
but the installed system should work.  I think I did get it to work on a
live CD once a long time ago.  The Super-S etc is for starting Orca, not
Speakup.  You ran the right commands to install it.  The only other thing I
would try is this:

service espeakup restart

3. What error are you getting?  If it's already running and you have no
sound, see #1 above.  Are you using a GUI?  You didn't say what version of
Ubuntu you're using.  There could be a conflict between Pulse and ESpeak.
Try disabling Pulse.  I'm not sure how to do that because I don't run it
here.  I would also temporarily remove the execute bit from the gdm startup
script to make sure X doesn't start, just in case Orca is a problem.

chmod -x /etc/init.d/gdm*
reboot

Without more information, I can't help further.

--

Tony Baechler, Baechler Access Technology Services
mailto:bats at batsupport.com
Phone: 1-619-746-8310   Fax: 1-619-449-9898