kmod-staging in Fedora 23

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Dec 24 13:05:26 EST 2015

No, this is not correct.

Speakup is in the staging module, currently:

staging-kmod-addons-4.0.4-1.fc22.noarch

The purpose of kmod-staging is to insure you don't install a mismatch
kernel, when you're relying on functionality that only comes in the
staging package.

In other words, you want to do:

dnf upgrade kmod-staging

and all the dependencies should flow from that. However, they're also
not getting the dependencies fully enumerated, so you may have to
specify:

dnf upgrade kmod-staging staging-kmod-addons

So, this is a second bug, imo, against the kmod-staging package.
Essentially, we need a package maintainer who cares a bit more than
seems currently to be the case.

Bill Acker used to be the squeaky wheel on kmod-staging, but now someone
needs to take up where Bill left off. <sigh>

Janina