software speech

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Dec 5 05:56:35 EST 2015

On 12/4/2015 8:21 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Tom,
> Does NVDa support hardware speech at all?
> Kare

The short answer is no.  ESpeak is the default but it does support SAPI and
has its own software synth called NV Speech Player.  However, there is a
very basic addon for the DECtalk Express which doesn't work very well and
another DECtalk addon which looks better, but I haven't tried it.  In
theory, it shouldn't be hard to support hardware speech because it has good
serial Braille support, but I'm not a Python programmer.  I had the idea to
hack a Braille driver to support the DECtalk Express, but I didn't get very
far and it probably wouldn't work anyway.  Therefore, I would say for now
the official answer is not really.