VMware Debian8 and speakup

Chris Zenchenko wb9rsq at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:07:54 EDT 2015

The alsa mixer had master set just fine but the wave input device was 0.
The thing was working all the time but no way to hear it.
Only when I finally got my braille display working did I figure this out.
However the key was not installing any desktops.
If I selected even the default basic desktop the braille display didn't work
with Speakup so I had no idea what was going on.
With only software choices 8 10 and 11 the braille display stayed working
after a restart from install.
Then I could run alsamixer and found the second item, not the first wich for
me was the master.
The second item , single right arrow then space and up arrow was 0.
Now it is cranked and Speakup is happy, me too.