VMware Debian8 and speakup

covici at ccs.covici.com covici at ccs.covici.com
Sun Aug 23 15:32:08 EDT 2015

Do you have a Braille display by any chance?  Otherwise, I am not sure,
it may depend on what you selected during the install.  But you could
echo bash standard output and standard error to the serial port and see
if speakup_soft is loaded, or just try to modprobe speakup_soft, then
type espeakup and see what happens -- did you try that?