VMware Debian8 and speakup

wb9rsq at gmail.com wb9rsq at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 13:21:39 EDT 2015

I know from reading earlier threads that some mention of this problem has
been made.
However since I wanted to get a fresh start on solving the problem I hope
that a new message will keep it focused.
I first took a working VM of Debian Wheezy 32 bit and did an update, then
upgrade.
After that I followed instructions on how to upgrade to Debian Jessie.
All seemed to go well.
However on the last reboot suddenly no speakup.
I checked with a sighted friend and the login screen was there and I could
login but no speakup.
So I decided to start a new VM and I tried both Jesse 32 and 64 bit versions
from the 8.1.0 iso dvd1.
Installer talked perfectly through the entire process.
First reboot, no speakup.
Login worked but still no speakup.
So since it is a VM I tried several more times with both versions changing
things like desktop and various servers in the software selection area.
Nothing mattered.
No speakup after reboot to installed machine.
I am not even close to being able to compile or debug. I can't do more than
follow a careful string of instructions.
Without any speech in the new VM I really can't do anything at all and
sighted help is not usually available.
So what and how can I figure out what is wrong with speakup in a brand new
VM.
Settings for the VM include 1024MB ram, standard VM scsi virtual controller,
defaults for network and sound as well as display.
The VMware version is 11.2.x.
Since the exact same settings in my old Wheezy VM worked I have no idea what
is going wrong.
I have however had problems now and then when building a new VM under Wheezy
both 32 and 64 from the DVD iso images.
Changing a software selection seemed to fix it and I never pin-pointed which
package was toasting speakup.
So bottom line, why is Debian 8.1.0 in a VM failing to have working speakup
after install completes?
What info can I provide to help define the problem?
How can I fix it?
tnx