Compiling Speakup modules

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 3 10:41:40 EDT 2015

I was interested in this question because there is the other bug where
speakup cannot talk to most serial hardware speech synthesizers. It
would be nice to be able to patch, compile, and install just the one
module that causes that. But googling for info on compiling and
installing a single module seems to indicate that it's no easier
(probably harder) than compiling the whole kernel.

Depending on your distro, recompiling the kernel isn't too hard. I have
a script for ubuntu that does the whole thing from downloading the
source to installing my patch to compiling the kernel. It's routine. It
does take a long time but you don't have to sit there and watch it the
whole time.

You should submit a bug report though so eventually, everyone can
benefit from your patch.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim